Friday, July 1, 2011

Odd #1

Sola Deo Gloria. The glory of God alone. This phrase aptly describes the amazing                               
events of the past week, for only God could make something like this happen in the face of all human logic. If you have a minute, I’d like to tell you the story, and I hope it inspires you like it did me.
  It all started about a week ago. I was almost finished with the online flight school course for becoming a Private Pilot. The same program also offered a scholarship to complete the flight portion of the training (which is very expensive) and I was hoping to apply for it. All was going well until I got a newsletter saying that the deadline for sending in an application was February 28. To apply for this scholarship required me to finish the online courses, take two practice exams online, get endorsed to, and take, the FAA written exam, get two recommendation letters, write a 1,000-word essay and send it all in. (within the 10 days till the 28th) I had not even finished the courses by this point, but by last week I had finished it and scheduled a time to take the FAA written exam on Wednesday. By Monday I was having a hard time studying because I was trying to figure it all out on my own, in reading charts and making computations I didn’t have much of a clue. Most of that day was spent in studying and praying, and I asked the Lord to help me do this for His glory only. It was humanly impossible for me to be able to take that test, and I knew it would be His grace alone that would make it possible!
  I needed to get some supplies for the test, so me and Dad went down to the airport store to get them. I needed a manual flight computer called an E6B, and a plotter, and I wanted to get it early enough so I could learn how to use it before Wednesday (this is impossible too). Unfortunately the store was closed for president’s day, and I thought I was finished because these things are required. I shouldn’t have worried. That night Michael Lombart showed up at the door with a study book, E6B, and plotter he said I could use! Talk about an answer to prayer! Another obstacle was now out of the way, but I was still pleading with the Lord to give me wisdom to be able to learn everything before Wednesday! So began 3 days of getting up at 4:30, having my devotions, and studying the entire day. God blessed my efforts and I learned a lot, but still not nearly enough. Tuesday was the most stressful. I had the first letter of recommendation, but not the second. I called the company of the online course to ask is they could email me the endorsement to take the test. They told me it would take 10 business days! They had to have a flight instructor look it all over to make sure I did everything to satisfaction. A little math told me that wouldn’t work. Did I go through all that for nothing! In despair I was about to call Michael and tell him to come get his things when a crazy thought flew into my mind (from the Lord!) “Call the flight school down in Auburn and ask them if there is another way to get an endorsement.” This is insane because the technically there is only one way you are supposed to go about this, but I figured it was worth a try. So I called Mach 5 flight school and the receptionist put me through to a flight instructor who said his name was Greg. I told him my problem and asked him if he had any ideas. He was extremely kind and helpful and promptly told me that if I took two practice test online with a good score, I could come in first thing in the morning and he would give me his personal endorsement! I couldn’t believe that he, a perfect stranger who knew nothing about me, would go out of his way to help. Praise the Lord! I studied some more and took a practice test, but still was not close to where I needed to be. More prayer.
   Wednesday morning dawned bright and early. I was worried but encouraged by all those who promised to pray for me. Studying was interrupted by our dog who got sick and threw up all over the floor. At 11:00 my mom took me down to the airport. The test was scheduled for 1:30, but I wanted to be there early in case there was a problem. I met Greg and the rest of the very supportive, friendly staff. I hauled all my stuff into Greg’s office and he helped me with the things I had trouble on and answered all my questions. He even went over the practice questions I had gotten wrong and explained them to me! That was an immense help for which I will be forever grateful!
   After a while, the receptionist got the test ready and showed me how it worked. She asked for my ID and I gave her my passport, which was expired, but I was told it would not be a problem. However, she came back a few minutes later and said that it could not be used unless it was current. Greg started going through the federal regulations book to see if there was another solution, while the receptionist called the testing center to ask for help. Finally they said that if my mom came, showed her drivers license and signed  a few papers, they could authorize me. So Mom came down again, did what was needed and went back up to work. By this time I knew how to basically use the E6B and felt fairly prepared, but sitting in front of that computer screen waiting to start, I realized my total dependence on the grace of God to get me through this. The radio was playing in the other room, “…don’t worry, be happy.” I prayed again for wisdom to do my best and to have trust in Him.
  Once I started the test, it was a lot easier then I thought, and except for the one “surprise question” everything went pretty well. Then, all of a sudden, the computer shut off. A “no signal” note was displayed briefly, and then…black. After trying to wake it up, I called the receptionist and she tried to rouse it, all to no avail. She called in the computer tech, who just “happened” to be there, and he began looking for the problem. Finally he realized that I had accidentally hit the off button with my knee and shut the whole system down! I was beginning to realize that the devil was working against me, and the Lord was providing miracle after miracle! I was sure of His providence and started praying again. After turning the computer back on, the test program complained of our “illegal action in navigating away from the program” while the test time was running. Thankfully, it let me continue right where I left off with no adverse effects. After finishing the test 20 minutes early, (I was allowed 2.5hrs) I was instructed to take a short survey, after which the official results would be printed. I completed the survey and clicked submit/finish…and promptly sat looking at an empty desktop. The computer seemed to say, “What test? Was I supposed to do something else?” I started praying again! The receptionist was horrified and she and I began to search through the remote recesses of the PC to see if we could find my test. After several minutes of complete failure, the computer tech, who was still there, came and located the file, which refused to be opened. We called the testing center again, and they told the tech to change the computer to go “back in time” to yesterday’s date and open the tester again. This was the trick, and the program showed my test as taken, graded and ready to be printed! “Thank you Lord!” the receptionist said as she printed out the test results: an official looking paper that said “United States Department of Transportation” on the top, and had a special seal impressed on it. Everyone was excited that I passed and I don’t think they will ever forget me!
   I finally left at 5:00, weak-kneed and relived, but it wasn’t over yet! The person who was originally going to give me the second letter of recommendation wasn’t able to do it. The application needed to be mailed before noon today (Thursday) and I had 15 hrs to get another letter! It just so “happened” that Pastor Brackett passed through Weimar yesterday and I saw him for a fleeting minute. I knew he was in the area, so I got his number, and called him. He was at the San Francisco airport getting ready to fly overseas! I told him my dilemma, and he said that he would call Lisia at Weimar, dictate her a letter, and have her print it up with his signature at the office first thing in the morning. Lisia had planned to take that day off, but (bless her heart) agreed to do it. This morning, I ran over there before class and got the letter, put it in the envelope with all the necessary application papers and bundled it off overnight to Oshkosh, WI!
  Whether or not I get the scholarship, I’m not going to worry. I KNOW the Lord is leading my steps. I will leave the results with Him because whatever happens, it WILL be to His glory. And that’s all that matters. Thank you SO much for all your prayers! Seeing the Lord work the impossible has been such an amazing experience! I encourage you to trust Him fully, you will be amazed at what He will do for you if you make this your motto: Sola Deo Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment